6 Apr 2012

Red bricks - review... well kinda;p


I don't know how about you, but for me it was a huge problem to imagine how the large or small bricks will look with  1:72 or 1:35 minis. But if I can see even one or two types of them on the photo next to the mini, and I know their dimensions, I can judge all the other ones by comparison.
It's true not only with bricks, but also with various plants and etched brass elements.

And if you're like me, not very great with all these scales and sizes, you may find this little article helpful.


Large bricks by Pegasus Hobbies
There  bag I bought  contains 50gm of bricks (around 100 pieces). The individual bricks are approximately 1.25 x 0.7 x 0.7 cm.


The bricks are seriously irregular and more suitable for modelling rubble & the debris of war.
If you want to build something out of them,  you'll need the patience (lots of it) to sand them to shape. But it's not easy to find too many bricks in similar shape. Maybe it would be easier to buy 2 or 3 bags, and then separate bircks into few piles judging by shape. But you need to made a decision first, if you're gonna need so many bricks:D


1/35 Scale Bricks, Dark Red by Juweela
The bricks are circa 0.72 x 0.36 x 0.18 cm and correspond to the kingdom format for brick used between 1850-1950.

As far as I know Juweela bricks are distributed by diffenent companies. For example I  bought mine with 'Mikora Modellbau Manufaktur' label, but they're also sold by PK-PRO.

Producent says they are 1/35 scale, but as you'll see on the picutre below, they seem a bit too small next to the 54 mm miniature.

There  is another problem with this product. The bricks are not rectangular. They're wider at the bottom and in the corners you can see triangular 'excesses'. I'm guessing it needs to be filed before building anything.


Small bricks by Pegasus Hobbies
There is also another type of bricks, more similar in shape to the big ones I have.
Producent says that bricks sizes are roughly 0.5 x 0.2 x 0.3 cm.


I tried to buy this one, but lucky for me they went out of stock. Judging by the photo they have proportions of the big ones I  bought (aren't that long and flat like the other ones) but 5mm long can be too small even for the 28mm mini, and definitelly for my patience when it comes to building;]


Here you have few photos  to compare both sizes of bricks between each other, Hirst blocks and miniatures in 1/72 and 1/35 scale


How to treat bricks:
At this point I have no experience with gluing or painting the bricks I bought, but they look similar to the Hirst blocks, so they should behave the same way.
If that's true,  PVA glue is enough to keep them together and they should accept acrylic paint easily. Also cutting,sanding and creating battle damage should be easy.


cheers

'eM

2 comments:

  1. Scale is, I think, one of the most challenging elements of the hobby. Not least because so many manufacturers deliberately design components out of scale to create emphasis. Heads and guns seem to be the main culprits for this.

    So yeah, finding background materials that look like they belong in the same scene as a mini is really tough. Thanks for the pointers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Marta.

    Been looking to get some bricks for rubble so this is a perfect resource. I'm assuming the smaller minis are traditional 28-32mm (ie more like 1:48 to 1:56 scale). I think 1:72 equates to about 20mm.

    Scale can be a minefield, especially when you start adding in the railway modelling scales - H, HO, etc!

    ReplyDelete